Pages

2.12.2006

mandarin escapade


I have checked out every book/DVD in the library about how to learn Mandarin. It will take me years to learn this language. However, Ed's cousin showed us the Rosetta Stone Language Learning program.

He has the spanish one - of course, I want the Mandarin one. It is an excellent program! It is very interactive. I was told by a mom who uses this with her son that the program is set up so you move along
at your own pace. You have to pass tests along the way, so you
can't move ahead to the next lesson unless you make the grade!
Sometimes the grade needs to be 90+ so you aren't moving ahead
without learning the previous lesson. It's good too because some of
the lessons are just based on sound, some just on the written words (Pinyin), etc. You can also speak the words/sentences and the program will measure the inflections in your voice and compare it to how it should actually be.

***
Our friends who live in China visited here for 2 weeks. They are leaving tomorrow. It was good to see them! Julia is quite impressive with her ability to read and speak Mandarin.

I love how the characters in Mandarin look like little pictures - like hyrogliphics.

No comments: