What do you do with all the dates you cannot forget of those that have died, or of tragedy? My dad died 2 years ago yesterday, March 28. I seem to connect all the dates and sometimes I think these dates will become too numerous. I wonder if I should try to forget them and concentrate on 'happier' things; but I cannot forget. The memory is always there just like the date arrives each year. March and April are full of very memorable dates but also 2 very tragic ones - each very close to the other. . .sort of like blessings and curses, good and bad, happy and sad (maybe the ying and yang) - they cluster together.
Memory. . .is both a graveyard and a kingdom. It has been a graveyard; now it can begin to be a kingdom, opening up a future "whose newness," David confides in us, "still makes me dizzy." A blessed state. Better than the equilibrium of despair. - Robert McAfee Brown, Elie Wiesel: Messenger to All Humanity
You number my wanderings; Put my tears into Your bottle; Are they not in Your book? When I cry out to You, Then my enemies will turn back; This I know, bcause God is for me. In God (I will praise His word), In the Lord (I will praise His word), In God I have put my trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? Psalm 57:8-11
***
Because I could not stop for Death
BECAUSE I could not stop for Death--
He kindly stopped for me--
The Carriage held but just Ourselves--
And Immortality.
We slowly drove--He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labour and my leisure too,
For His Civility--
We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess--in the Ring--
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain--
We passed the Setting Sun--
Or rather--He passed Us--
The Dews drew quivering and chill--
For only Gossamer, my Gown--
My Tippet--only Tulle--
We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground--
The Roof was scarcely visible--
The Cornice--in the Ground--
Since then--'tis Centuries--and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses Heads
Were toward Eternity--
- Emily Dickinson
No comments:
Post a Comment