Pages

4.27.2006

gallimaufry

There was a sale (online)! (OK, I realize that I am just guessing at Lauren's size. . . but these are warm clothes, on sale, and so cute. . . ).

I received another e-mail from Zhu Yin Le (Bill is his 'English' name) in Hangzhou, China. I love getting e-mail/communication from China. Bill is a university student. He sent a 'wish' for Lauren - as did Leo (Jia Litao). In China, the family name is always first - so Jia and Zhu are Leo's (his English name - so I can pronounce it and spell it) and Bill's 'last' name as we understand names. Leo has a beautiful 2 1/2 year old daughter. He and his family live in Shenyang in Northern China. I think it's very considerate of Bill and Leo to use an 'English' name so that those that do not speak
Mandarin/Chinese can pronounce and spell their names. I think I would expect others to learn to pronounce and spell my name and remember it the best they can - and who cares if they don't speak my language. . . . Both of them write in excellent English (otherwise, I wouldn't know them much). I've learned a lot from them.

A few of the books I checked out of the Library this week/currently are:
Snow flower And The Secret Fan : a novel / Lisa See.

China Wakes : The Struggle For The Soul Of A Rising Power / Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
My mom read these two and said they were really good. She read me parts of them. I have not yet completely read them myself.

Number The Stars by Lois Lowry - this a book is in the 'juvenile' section. I really like this book! The author came to speak here in Knoxville at the Tennessee Theater (free!) but I was already committed to helping at the Coronary Health Improvement Project (CHIP) that evening.

The Giver by Lois Lowry (in the process of reading).

gallimaufry |ˌgaləˈmôfrē| noun ( pl. -fries) a confused jumble or medley of things. • a dish made from diced or minced meat, esp. a hash or ragout. ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from archaic French galimafrée ‘unappetizing dish,’ perhaps from Old French galer ‘have fun’ + Picard mafrer ‘eat copious quantities.’

No comments: