Pages

5.23.2006

an addiction

OK, even though I have enough children's books to have my own public library (and can't seem to stop). . . I bought more books (thanks to the recommendations of 2 of my coworker / friends). One arrived today. It's called "First Comes Love." The illustrations are great - very cute book.

The other two are: "The Paperbag Princess" by Robert Munsch and illustrated by Michael Martchenko (I love this story!!) and "Rain Romp: Stomping Away a Grouchy Day" by Jane Kurtz and illustrated by Dyanna Wolcott (I love this illustrations and story!).

While I am on this subject, two of my favorite books (but I have many favorites; I've had these 2 for years now) are: "Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge" by Mem Fox and illustrated by Julie Vivas (extraordinary pair) and "The Old Woman Who Named Things" by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Kathryn Brown (another favorite author and illustrator).

Robert Munsch's biography is entertaining / interesting; good author. He wrote LOVE YOU FOREVER which was / is a best-selling children's book (you probably own it? I have for years). What I found very interesting when reading Muncsh's biography online was this:

Then LOVE YOU FOREVER came out as a Canadian book in 1986. I had written it as a memorial for two stillborn babies we had in 1979 and 1980. The story actually started out as a song.



***
I actually do (own and) read books for 'my age' group. I have several books waiting to be read, that I own, 2 from the library and one a friend loaned me. I am currently reading "China Wakes: The Struggle For the Soul of A Rising Power" by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl Wudunn. It's very good.

My mom bought "Night" by Elie Wiesel (with a new preface by the author) which I have been planning to read. It is a short but excellent book.

***
The Power of Words
'TIS a strange mystery, the power of words!
Life is in them, and death. A word can send
The crimson colour hurrying to the cheek.
Hurrying with many meanings; or can turn
The current cold and deadly to the heart.
Anger and fear are in them; grief and joy
Are on their sound; yet slight, impalpable:--
A word is but a breath of passing air.
- L.E.L.
(Letitia Elizabeth Landon)

No comments: