Pages

6.23.2007

wild things

Five nephews and one niece are visiting from the Southwest. The amount of energy these children have is unfathomable. Seriously. But I love it (and the things that amuse them? Incredible. . . delightful).

I informed Lauren's Aunts and Uncles that she will be calm and quiet - and love books and computers of course. . . (only a very slight possibility they informed me back - about the calm and quiet part . . . at least until they get a hold of her).

***
My Aunt sent me this note:
Dear Sarah,
This isn't exactly a wish but in a way it is. This is a poem I placed in Laurie's baby book shortly after we took her home at 3 days old. Perhaps you can tell Lauren sometime about the origin of this poem. I know you will feel this same way about her when she comes. This is for Lauren.
ASLEEP

Pale, in the luminous wake of
a star,
You lie asleep with your
fingers curled
In a puppy dog's fur, unaware
that YOU are
The light of a life, and the
hope of the world.

~ Mary Wright Lamb









vintage photo of myself with my cousins, Laurie and Jennifer.



6 comments:

kitchu said...

My god that poem is incredible. But then, I am a sucker for really good poetry!

dreamer said...

I'm honestly not sure what to say. That poem is one for the record books. I adore it.

C's Mom said...

I always know where I'll see a beautiful poem. Just stop by your place.

CS said...

Lovely poem, and so apt

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved that poem. As short as it was, I was already starting to tear up. Thank you for sharing it with us.

comingaroundagain said...

I love this poem too.

My cousin, Laurie (who was adopted at birth) has long been an advocate for adoption. I can't imagine growing up without her.