Pages

9.29.2007

james

I checked out a children's book from the library called, "Brothers in Hope: The Story of the Lost Boys of Sudan" by Mary Williams and illustrated by Gregory Christie. One afternoon this week, James (from Sudan) went to my nephews school to meet one of the classes as their teacher read them this story. The children had a blast with James! He told them things about Africa and his life and answered questions from them.
Later the teacher called to say what an incredible experience it was for them to have James come to their class, especially as they read the story of his experience (and many others from Sudan). The children knew he would be coming (though they'd never met him before) and they were playing at recess when he arrived. When they saw him, they yelled, "There's James!" and several ran over to hug him (cutest things!). One little guy told James, "I came to America when I was 2 months old from Guatamala." As James left a little boy said, "Next time you come, I want you to write your name [autograph]."

I've learned so much from James and he's been so much fun! Absolutely, incredible life story. I love, love, love 'working' with / knowing these refugees. . . .

2 comments:

CS said...

What a great expereicne for the kids. We often visit schools when we travel and I think our kids and the kids at the foreign school both love the interaction.

comingaroundagain said...

cs - that's an invaluable gift for your children to visit schools in other countries. This was a great experience for the children, probably for James too. . . but also for me - it's amazing. I love this stuff.