I'd heard and read some about the documentary of Mark Bittner and the Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill. This weekend I watched it. At one point in the film, it was mentioned, that some people felt that because the parrots were 'not native' to the area, they should be trapped and exterminated.
The parrots were intriguing and caused me to think more about all the wild birds we feed and watch at our feeders. However, the life of Mark Bittner was almost as interesting. . . I will have to read his book when it is finished.
2 comments:
Sometimes non-native animals can be a real nuisance, aggressively pushing mnative species out of their niches. Still, the idea of exterminating them is horrifying to me. After all, most of us are "non native" here!
citizen - Yes, most of us are 'not native' here.
;-)
When that opinion was expressed in the film (yes, about birds) it reminded me of the rhetoric and cynicism on the topic of immigration (humans this time) - even legal immigration!!
Post a Comment