Pages

4.04.2008

caregiver of caregivers


One of my co-workers gave me this African Violet a couple of years ago. Except for a very short time in which I had it at home, it's been on my desk at work since that time. It was about to die. . . but periodically I noticed that it wasn't looking too bad. I watered it now and then. I began to notice that someone else had been watering it too. After awhile, I noticed (several of us noticed) that it was looking surprisingly healthy.

Late one afternoon after I had gone, another co-worker, noticed the cleaning lady, R~, caring for the violet (so sweet!). She said something to her and R~ said, "these therapists do such great work, this is the least I can do."

When I was told about this, I put a note on the violet, "I love R~!" Not too long after that, the plant was repotted into what I learned is an African Violet planter (I didn't know they had special planters for them!).

It is so beautiful now.

4 comments:

C's Mom said...

Pretty! I would need help to keep that beautiful too.

Alyson and Ford said...

What a wonderful story! We all should know the name of our cleaning people....unfortunately at our business they change frequently.

Alyson ID 01/27/06

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. I just bought an African violet pot and now have to get a violet for it!

comingaroundagain said...

pipo - they are still so pretty!

alyson - she is very friendly too, so whenever we stay late enough; she is there. Several of us contributed toward a gift certificate and strawberry pie (her favorite) for her 60th b-day last week.

citizen - Maybe I will try to keep one at home one day. I'm not sure if I can keep it alive like this one; but I've learned a few things from this lady.