Pages

4.25.2008

zephirine drouhin


The is the Bourbon (Old Garden) rose Zephirine Drouhin that I planted at this house about 3 years ago. It is a climber, completely thornless, and extremely floriferous. It has a very strong, classic (Damask) rose fragrance. It was bred by Bizot in France in 1868, and is considered an antique rose.

I'm sure I've taken over 100 photos of our roses already this Spring. I love their fragrance and they are so beautiful. I examine them in the morning when I leave and in the afternoon when I come home (to see how many more have bloomed; what a beautiful greeting!).  

I planted this same kind of rose at our old house.  Each year when they bloom, I think of our baby boy. I placed many of these roses on his tiny casket April 30, 2002.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a gorgeous rose, and such a bitterweet association for you.

comingaroundagain said...

citizen - I have enjoyed these roses this year especially! They are beautiful.