
Yesterday after work I stopped by and visited with James and Garang and talked with Peter (all 'Sudanese Lost Boys') on the phone.
This evening we went to a 1 year birthday celebration for, Arusa, the granddaughter of friends. There were many people gathered. I know the grandparents and I'd met Arusa and her parents, but all the others were new to me. Although most all of the people there have lived in America as long I have, we were the


After church we visited with one of the Burundian families and took over a computer with an English language learning program on it for them to use.
This evening we went to a 1 year birthday celebration for, Arusa, the granddaughter of friends. There were many people gathered. I know the grandparents and I'd met Arusa and her parents, but all the others were new to me. Although most all of the people there have lived in America as long I have, we were the only ones whose family is not originally from either India or Pakistan. So, at first, I was feeling a bit conspicuous (we dress differently and our culture / religion, etc. is different).

They were all so generous with us. Arusa's mother (who happens to not eat meat either) made food to feed this whole group and then made an additional special set of dishes for Ed and I! This was completely unexpected - but how kind!
I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed our time with them this evening. Do you ever see someone and immediately like them (even before being introduced)? It intrigues me when this happens - that's how it was when I saw this woman and then when I met, Khalda, I found her to be truly delightful; who, I guessed (correctly), was one of the the sisters of our friend.

4 comments:
what wonderful picture, glad you had a good time!
amy - It's been a great weekend. . . all the 'richer' for knowing these families.
It's fun being with people of another culture and learning how they celebrate and getting to try their food.
How exciting that you are that much closing to getting a referral.
susan - I really enjoy learning about / getting to know people of other cultures! Very exciting, we are getting closer!!
Post a Comment