Pages

5.29.2006

memorial day

Happy Memorial Day. . . I don't remember that we ever celebrated much on Memorial Day in the past. Ed did watch a few programs related to the military - as he was part of it for several years. Via e-mail Twyla reminded us of the soldiers in Afghanistan (and others affected by the war). She is in Kabul training nurses in the hospital. She agreed to stay another year. I can't believe how fast last year went!! There were riots in the streets of Kabul today. Twyla and other expatriates were warned to stay inside (not go to work, etc.). She said,
"To the best of our knowledge a US military vehicle hit a taxi, killing a person and injuring several. That upset passersby who started to throw rocks. Then mob mentality took over and the riots began. This started north of the city, but soon spread to the center and the south."

We thought we would go to Gabriel's grave; but we did not. We thought of him though. Instead, I slept late (of course after staying up too late) - which I loved!! We (us + nephew, Brandon) were 'patriotic' by going to (I'm embarrassed to admit this) the mall! Ed bought a weedeater - on sale of course. We stopped by a bookstore (love bookstores). We went to eat with my sister and family and then several of us went swimming along with a few more relatives. I really enjoyed that - it was so hot today. I also planted four tomato plants (better late than never, I guess) and some flowers in a deck planter. I even knitted some. . . . My older brother and family will be here next weekend and will stay for several days!

***
About tomatoes. Last year I planted Brandywine tomatoes (heirloom tomato) - these are incredible (and incredibly large); by far, the best tomatoes I have ever grown or eaten other than (possibly) for my Aunt Peggy and Uncle Hallies tomatoes. However, since I procrastinated for so long (it's felt like winter until last week) and then decided at the last minute that I was going to plant tomatoes today. . . I could not find any Brandywines. My favorite nursery closest to our house, looks as if it's no longer selling vegetables and was all closed up anyway. So, instead, I planted what I could get from the nursery across the street from my old favorite one. I planted 2 Celebrity and 2 Rutgers. All the tomato plants were marked down to .50 cents I was told when I checked out - they all looked kind of sad - so I hope they live/grow at all! I planted all of them in earthboxes. I did not plant the Brandywine tomatoes that I grew last year in an earthbox (I would have had to construct some hardcore stakes for it)! I have wondered if it would have grown differently (i.e. not as large) if I had planted it in an earthbox.

3 comments:

dreamer said...

Well, I HATE to admit it, but you beat us on patriotism... we did our impersonation of couch potatoes... that's patriotic right.

Sounds like a great day though and glad you guys enjoyed it.

lisa

comingaroundagain said...

I would not have minded being a couch potato at all today. . . in fact, that's where I was headed (except I don't know if I would have made it to the couch). Ed is not as into sleeping late as I am (I remind myself of that childrens book "Rain Romp" with getting up in the morning). I would have been content to sleep all day - or at least lay around! It feels like such a luxury to sleep late, with the fan (of course) on. I love the sound of fans - especially the Hunter Zephair oscillating fans!.

dreamer said...

A fan, fan! too funny, that's my husband to a T. I love to sleep in late, but the dogs always wake me up...