Yesterday: It's humiliating what your body can do when it gets sick - with a GI bug. . .Today: I finished reading 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden. Very good book. I did see the film (I will admit that my interest in the film at the time was primarily the Chinese actresses in it) so I basically knew how it would end; otherwise, I would have felt much more urgency to get to it.
“This is why dreams can be such dangerous things; they smolder on like a fire does, and sometimes consume us completely.” Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha pg 106
“Grief is a most peculiar thing; we’re so helpless in the face of it. It’s like a window that will simply open of its own accord. The room grows cold, and we can do nothing but shiver. But it opens a little less each time, and a little less; and one day we wonder what has become of it.” Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha pg 255
“As a young girl I believed my life would never have been a struggle if Mr. Tanaka hadn’t torn me away from my tipsy house. But now I know that our world is no more permanent than a wave rising on the ocean. Whatever our struggles and triumphs, however we may suffer them, all too soon they bleed into a wash, just like watery ink on paper.” Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha pg 428
2 comments:
I enjoyed the book immensely too, still haven't bought the movie though. Was it as beautiful on screen as it was in the book?
There were parts of the movie that were so beautiful, and many others that were dark and difficult to watch; similar to the book in this way. However, the book was more detailed; the story more complete. I like how this author writes (this book). Ziyi Zhang, Michelle Yeoh, Gong Li (all are Chinese) and Youki Kudoh (Japanese) are beautiful. I hadn't known of them much before this film.
Post a Comment