Pages

9.17.2006

reminiscence

Regret
Had you come to me
as I to you once
with naked asking,
I should have let you.
We should have slept,
two arrows bound together
wounding no one.
Instead, you chose to lie
set to the bow of your own darkness.
- Vassar Miller
***
Today I met someone (from my home state) and discovered we had a mutual friend - from years ago and states away. It brought back many memories (of a tandem skydive...and other fun stuff). I have wondered what it would have been like, if this or that happened - or did not happen. . . . no regrets; but for the grace of God, I am here.
***
Elusive
Your heart beats under my hand like a bird,
like a bird I would hold in my hand,
yet if I could coop it there it would be you no longer
and like a most delicate bird would die.
But that music playing, those notes circling about me
like birds weaving an intricate ballet in the air,
that music composed and made and heard by men who have
never known you,
whom you do not know,
impersonal as birds and intimate as birds with themselves
(not being "he" and "she," but not being "it") -
that is most you.
- Vassar Miller

No comments: