Pages

4.06.2007

blooming blankets

Awhile ago I took my mother to Carpe Librum Booksellers (a favorite local bookstore; also enjoy the Book Eddy).

My mom loves cards - she loves to send them, and make them and buy them. . . . She bought several "Pondering Pool" cards (written, illustrated and designed by Susan Mrosek). There was one that she loved that I did not 'get' when I read it - so she explained (I can be one of 'those people' - the slow-to-get-jokes person; the color of my hair never helped either). I kept thinking about that card and how it may describe me (which did not really please me).

She began as a seed like the rest of us,
then hooked up with a band of sympathetic sheep -
taking root not in soil, but in wool.
Eventually she bloomed into a lovely
old security blanket. ~ Susan Mrosek
The photo is of a little old woman in a comfortable bed with her covers over her.

I reflected on some of the curious things that I may use as a sort of security blanket. Was that a photo of me? I think I may want to change that. . . .

4 comments:

CS said...

That's interesting to think about. In fact, I was just reading another bloggers reflections on what we use as security blankets. When is it okay, and even healthy, to stick with what brings you comfort and saftey and when do you need to venture out? But, boy, doesn't she look cozy?

comingaroundagain said...

cs - yes, she looks so very cozy (and wouldn't you know that I love to sleep)! I guess there are some 'healthy' security blankets. A few things come to mind about myself, which I will not list here ;-) but will mention 2:
*My social needs are very low - I can get incredible mileage out of precious little! (Or am I afraid of something?)
*(this one is weird) The thought of moving to another city/state disturbs me for a few reasons but the weirdest one is I don't want to leave our son's grave. (Can attaching yourself to a grave be a security blanket? Sounds sick - and causes me pause.)
...sometimes pondering makes me weary....

Mic said...

I do not think wanting to live near your son's grave is weird or unhealthy...I think it is natural. My aunt lost her only child thirteen years ago. One of the biggest reasons she hesitates leaving Texas to move closer to us (her family remaining) is that it would take her so far from her daughter's grave. I think she understands completely why you might dread ever moving to another state.

comingaroundagain said...

monica - thanks for your words. It feels like a peculiar position to be in. . . .