I watched a documentary this evening called, "Born into Brothels" about children who live in Calcutta's red-light district. A photographer, Zana Briski, documented the lives of these children (and taught them photography). Wow! There were several parts that I found to be quite powerful:
These children lived in such filth, poverty and cruelty were taken to the beach one evening and they were SO excited and were dancing and singing and taking photos. . .
When one little 10 year old girl, Kochi, told how her father tried to sell her (and would have done so if her sister had not rescued her).
Avijit's (11) beautiful mother was set on fire in the kitchen by her pimp and burned to death during the filming of this documentary (the pimp was never charged or anything). He did find the strength to go on and use his incredible talent to make a better life for himself.
***
It can be a challenge (especially this time of year), to not be overwhelmed by the clutter of life (what gifts to buy? how much time to spend on shopping or going to this or that party) and maintain a healthy perspective on the essence of life.
However, this year, I feel like I've received the paragon of 'gifts that keep on giving' in knowing these refugees (relationships). I've been meeting with Sheba on Monday evenings for additional English language tutoring. Sheba, hutu/tutsi from Burundi and at age 19 is supporting his mother and 6 siblings alone in a new country as a refugee. His life has been anything but easy. . . in spite of it all, he has maintained a quiet tenacity that is inspiring.
Just this week I met 2 other Sudanese refugee friends of James' - Anthony and Peter. Also from the Dinka tribe (very tall!) but, as James did, they fled when they were young boys to escape being killed or taken as slaves by the soldiers representing the Muslim Northern government. Anthony to Egypt and Peter to Kenya (as James did). Ironically, Anthony is from the same town in Sudan (Rumbek) as James, although their route of escape took them to different places and resulted in James being fluent in Swahili (as well as English and Dinka) and not so much in Arabic. Amazing lives these young men have already lived; not lives they would ever have asked for. . . and still they are among the most generous and happiest people I've ever met. What is it about that?
2 comments:
I have this movie on my Netflix queue, and Am looking forward to seeing it. I've known people who have plenty to feel bitter about and yet do not seem embittered. It really is amazing how much grace some people have.
cs- It is such a good documentary. I've been intrigued recently by how happy/content (?) many people we consider 'poor' are that I have met. (I didn't realize before watching it that this documentary would engage that intrigue further).
Post a Comment