Mandarin). There were a few of us that
are very monolingual with the exception of understanding or being able to say a few select words or phrases in other languages. I love hearing other languages spoken though (I routinely listen to music in languages I do not understand. One of my idiosyncrasies? My brother thinks this is a strange thing...).
It must have been about 11 or 12 years ago that the mother of one of my patients gave me a Christmas tree ornament. It is made of metal and bisque pottery. It has been a favorite. I have been so careful with it. . . until 2 years ago, even as I was trying to be so careful, I dropped it and it broke into several pieces at the arm / hand and lower body. I was very disappointed for sure! However, I remembered about glue. ;-) So, this ornament still hangs and she still reminds me of this particular patient, who made such incredible music on his violin prior to his illness. And who we did not give up on even when he was 'broken'.

are very monolingual with the exception of understanding or being able to say a few select words or phrases in other languages. I love hearing other languages spoken though (I routinely listen to music in languages I do not understand. One of my idiosyncrasies? My brother thinks this is a strange thing...).
It must have been about 11 or 12 years ago that the mother of one of my patients gave me a Christmas tree ornament. It is made of metal and bisque pottery. It has been a favorite. I have been so careful with it. . . until 2 years ago, even as I was trying to be so careful, I dropped it and it broke into several pieces at the arm / hand and lower body. I was very disappointed for sure! However, I remembered about glue. ;-) So, this ornament still hangs and she still reminds me of this particular patient, who made such incredible music on his violin prior to his illness. And who we did not give up on even when he was 'broken'.
This evening we had several relatives over, ate together and we (mostly they) played music.
We have a few more days in 2007. This was not the year that we met our little girl, as we thought; but it really has been a wonderful year and our hearts are very ready to meet her.
The music will continue. . . .
4 comments:
I wonder if part of the appeal of listening to music in a language you don't speak is that the words become just another kind of note, rather than lyrics? It's like adding an instrument - you aren't listening for the meaning, you are kistening for the sound of it. Just a thought.
2008 will be the year for getting your daughter.
cs - I think you must be right about listening for the sounds of the language / music - as that is primarily how I choose it. I have music (that I routinely listen to) in Italian, Mandarin, Cambodian, Spanish, Old Celtic. . . and I think I will be adding Dutch very soon).
I'm ready for 2008!
Hello Sarah,
i'm Séverine i live in France and have a 24 january LID for a china baby, just few days of your LID.
And I read you speak of 'your patients', what is your job ?
Me I'm orthodontics and also have little patients.
When the phone call will arrive ?
june ? july, August?
have a good day
Séverine
Séverine - I enjoyed the music (in French) on your blog . . . even if I don't understand the words. ;-)
Hopefully we'll get to China pretty soon. . . .
Post a Comment