Twenty years ago Alfredo Quinones-Hinojosa hopped a border fence from Mexio into the U.S. and became a migrant farmworker. In 1999, he graduated cum laude from Harvard Medical school and is one of the top neurosurgeons, a researcher and professor in Baltimore. "Dr. Quinones-Hinojosa, now uses his hands on patients where the slightest movement can separate life from death -- the same hands that separated weeds from dirt not long ago.""I do look at them sometimes, and I realize these are the same hands who now touch people's lives and brains. Nothing has really changed," he said.
Cool story ~
2 comments:
Yes. I'm passing this on to a friend who has strong anti-immigrant feelings of an example of why we need to continue to receive immigrants.
cs - I wonder if so many of the people who rant about illegal immigration in the US realize how much our country relies on the services provided by many illegal immigrants (you know, the ones that are paid very little and provided no benefits but work VERY hard; we would have to pay 'legal' American citizens quite a bit more for the work. . . citrus fruit for one thing would be much more expensive and those same people would probably be ranting about that). At any rate, immigrants have much to offer us.
There has to be a better solution for our country than just building higher, or more fences, etc..
Post a Comment