We took my mom and Ed's aunt on a road trip (both with canes that periodically hit me in the head when I reached for something in the vehicle). We made several stops along the way to walk. The contrast of traveling with several wild young nephews / niece (with various toys and snacks) versus a couple of older people (with assistive paraphernalia) can be comical.These are 2 women that I have learned much from and enjoyed in spite of all their idiosyncrasies (and mine combined). The weather was great and we made it home in one piece, so it was a good day.



***
When It Don't Come Easy
Red lights are flashing on the highway
I wonder if we're gonna ever get home
I wonder if we're gonna ever get home tonight
Everywhere the waters getting rough
Your best intentions may not be enough
I wonder if we're gonna ever get home tonight
But if you brake down
I'll drive out and find you
If you forget my love
I'll try to remind you
And stay by you when it don't come easy
I don't know nothing except change will come
Year after year what we do is undone
Time keeps moving from a crawl to a run
I wonder if we're gonna ever get home....
~Patty Griffin "Impossible Dream" album
As of Monday 7/23, we will have completed 18 months of waiting. I am definitely understanding the feeling of wondering if we will ever get (her) home. . . .
I watch international news more closely since beginning this process - and I hope and pray that nothing crazy occurs that will delay (or God forbid, prevent) the completion of our adoption. I wonder about her safety, whichever little girl she is. . . .
8 comments:
"both with canes that periodically hit me in the head when I reached for something in the vehicle" - this made my son say, "What are you laughing about?"
I totally hear ya about the international incidents and such. I keep thinking about everything that is going on around the world and how it could impact us going to China. It's hard not to look at headlines about China without worrying! But I am trying hard not to.
ah, yet another thing we have in common. It's often I see the news and think of the impact on US/China and/or China/World relations. I worry, I think something someday will impact adoptions, for us or someone else.
Sounds like a wonderful trip. I can relate. My mom can get downright crazy with her walker ;0)
Ah, I relate to your feelings so well. Our girls will come....it just seems so far away sometimes. I'm thankful to be enjoying the long road with people like you.
Glad you had fun and the canes made me laugh..Have a wonderful day!
cs - it was kind of funny, if a bit irritating (when I wanted to pitch one out the window, but knew I couldn't / wouldn't).
wendy - there can usually be something to get neurotic about, I guess. . . I'm trying not to for whatever it's worth.
lisa - My ears always perk up with any mention of China now... and I get reports from others if I happen to miss anything.
c.j. - I enjoyed the day. Yes, it is seeming further away to me now than ever ironically (maybe I will bounce out of this feeling in a few of days?).
amy - I think Ed's aunt very much resents the fact she has a cane (quad cane). Canes can be useful for all kinds of things besides their intended purpose (I could have some fun with one of those things).
Happy LID Anniversary! We will be at #18 soon too. I do believe the light is nearing the end of the tunnel.... Spring 2008!
Alyson
LID 01/27/06
alyson & ford - thanks!
Hope springs eternal. . . Spring 2008 (I'm still hoping for 2007 - but I've been hoping that for every season of each year since we started).
Post a Comment